Amanda-Users

Re: Preparing to migrate

2006-03-04 12:07:41
Subject: Re: Preparing to migrate
From: Matt Hyclak <hyclak AT math.ohiou DOT edu>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Sat, 4 Mar 2006 12:02:07 -0500
On Sat, Mar 04, 2006 at 09:34:45AM -0500, Byarlay, Wayne A. enlightened us:
> folks, I'm getting to migrate my AMANDA from one server to another,
> and I was just wondering if there were any pitfalls I should be aware
> of. Let me describe my config:
>
> Current setup:
>
> AMANDA 2.4.4p1 on a RH9, backing up to Disk using the tape changer
> method. Installed using the downloaded amanda package; not an RPM or
> default RedHat install.
>
> Desired setup: RHE4, Amanda installed using the RHE4 first-time install,
> and I want to be backing up the same systems using the same config
> files, if possible. (amanda.conf location may have changed, etc.) The
> new AMANDA Host will have the SAME NAME AND IP ADDRESS as the old one.
>
> Any gotchas I should be aware of, client-wise or system-wise?

I wouldn't recommend using the packaged RPM with RHEL4. At the very least,
rebuild the SRPM to include proper references to your index and tape servers
(the default is localhost, which is not a good thing). Alternatively, build
the Fedora Development RPM on your RHEL 4 box to have the latest stable
amanda. This is what I do and have been using in production for quite a
while now.

See http://www.math.ohiou.edu/~hyclak/casit/amanda/ for some hints.

Matt

--