Amanda-Users

Re: Strange amverify behaviour with amanda 2.4.5

2006-03-05 08:18:53
Subject: Re: Strange amverify behaviour with amanda 2.4.5
From: Tony van der Hoff <lists AT nospam.vanderhoff DOT org>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Sun, 5 Mar 2006 13:11:35 +0000
Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com> wrote in message
<20060304182534.GA12825 AT butch.jgcomp DOT com>

> On Sat, Mar 04, 2006 at 05:50:16PM +0000, Tony van der Hoff wrote:

> > Not sure how to go about finding the exact command. Fortunately, this
> > DLE has no exclusions.
> >
> I think the file to check is in your debug dir (/tmp/amanda here, YMMV).
> Been a while, but I think it will be in runtar.??? or sendbackup.???.

Yes, found them. I'm afraid I'm not clever enough to do anything sensible
with them. There are two runtar files, one which appears to send the gnutar
output to /dev/null, presumably that's when it does the size estimate, and
the second sends the output to stdout; I would guess it's part of a pipe
where amanda adds the header.

I tried directing the latter at a real file, but just got an empty archive.

> When you try it by hand, be sure to set your environment as close as
> possible to the way amdump would be when it runs.

Hmm, yes, well, I guess I failed :(

> > I did a dump to the holding disk, without a tape mounted, to get the
> > image. I then stripped of the first 32k bytes to lose the tape header,
> > and tried to untar the rest. That gave a corrupt file error in the
> > failing image, but a valid output on non-failing images. I conclude that
> > it is the dump that's going wrong before it gets to the taper.
>
> Seems reasonable.  Did you also use the "z" option (if appropriate) when
> untar'ing?  What did the file cmd say about the archive file after
> stripping?

The archive wasn't compressed. Don't understand what you mean by the file
cmd, sorry.

--
Tony van der Hoff          | mailto:tony AT vanderhoff DOT org
Buckinghamshire, England