Amanda-Users

Re: Backing up ACL's ?

2005-11-26 05:06:34
Subject: Re: Backing up ACL's ?
From: Matt Hyclak <hyclak AT math.ohiou DOT edu>
To: "Amanda user's group" <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2005 23:41:53 -0500
On Fri, Nov 25, 2005 at 09:35:47AM -0500, Guy Dallaire enlightened us:
> The network admin here would like to start using ACL's on some files (Centos
> 4.1 a read hat 4 clone, and Red Hat 4). We use amanda (with gnutar) I don't
> think gnu tar supports it (other than by using dump, which we don't want to
> do for reliability reasons)
>
> Do you know if ACL support is planned ?

Not directly. You have a couple options:

1. Dump the ACLs to a file (probably with getfattr) and back up that file.

2. Write a wrapper for gnutar that uses star, which does support some ACLs
   last I checked.

There's probably others, as well, but it's late :-)

HTH,
Matt

--
Matt Hyclak