Amanda-Users

Re: Backing up ACL's ?

2005-11-26 11:40:55
Subject: Re: Backing up ACL's ?
From: Paddy Sreenivasan <paddy AT zmanda DOT com>
To: Matt Hyclak <hyclak AT math.ohiou DOT edu>
Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2005 07:25:50 -0800
On 11/25/05, Matt Hyclak <hyclak AT math.ohiou DOT edu> wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 25, 2005 at 09:35:47AM -0500, Guy Dallaire enlightened us:
> > The network admin here would like to start using ACL's on some files (Centos
> > 4.1 a read hat 4 clone, and Red Hat 4). We use amanda (with gnutar) I don't
> > think gnu tar supports it (other than by using dump, which we don't want to
> > do for reliability reasons)
> >
> > Do you know if ACL support is planned ?
> >

> Not directly. You have a couple options:
>
> 1. Dump the ACLs to a file (probably with getfattr) and back up that file.
>
> 2. Write a wrapper for gnutar that uses star, which does support some ACLs
>    last I checked.

star (http://freshmeat.net/projects/star/) supports ACLs and extended
attributes (on Linux). You will need to install python acl and
extended attribute libraries to use it.

Use star 1.5 to avoid backup/restore problems.

To write wrapper scripts, please see
http://wiki.zmanda.com/index.php/Backup_client#pre_and_post-_backup_scripts_wrappers

If you write a gnutar wrapper script, please contrinute it to Amanda.

Thanks,
Paddy

--

Amanda documentation: wiki.zmanda.com