Amanda-Users

Re: Is automatic wakeonlan possible?

2005-11-16 04:30:10
Subject: Re: Is automatic wakeonlan possible?
From: Paul Bijnens <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
To: Kevin Dalley <kevin AT kelphead DOT org>, Amanda Users List <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2005 10:19:40 +0100
Kevin Dalley wrote:
Thanks for the suggestion.

A wrapper (or part of the cron job) only handles part of the problem.

If the machine has a timeout, say 1 hour, then either solution will
allow the estimate to be performed, but the backup itself may fail if
it is more than 1 hour between the estimate and the backup.

Solutions:

1.  Do not allow automatic sleep on servers that need backup.

2.  Let the amanda server start a script that keeps the clients wake
during the backup time: write a marker-file, and start a script
in the background that does wakeonlan e.g. every 15 minutes as long
as the file exists.  When amdump is finished, remove the file.
You could even parse the output of amstatus and let the wakeonlan
only bother with machines that have not done yet:

        amstatus config --waitdumping --estimate --gestimate

would list the necessary machines (no need for --dumping, because
real activity does not let the machine go to sleep).

I would prefer solution number 1.

* I think I've got the hang of it now:  exit, ^D, ^C, ^\, ^Z, ^Q, ^^, *
* F6, quit, ZZ, :q, :q!, M-Z, ^X^C, logoff, logout, close, bye, /bye, *
* init 0, kill -9 1, Alt-F4, Ctrl-Alt-Del, AltGr-NumLock, Stop-A, ... *