Amanda-Users

Is automatic wakeonlan possible?

2005-11-10 21:22:37
Subject: Is automatic wakeonlan possible?
From: Kevin Dalley <kevin AT kelphead DOT org>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2005 18:00:59 -0800
Some machines which I back up are occasionally put to sleep.  I have a
few options:

I could try hard to keep the machines from going to sleep, but any
user can put some of the machines to sleep.

I could ignore the problem, and skip backing up machines which are
asleep.

I could use wakeonlan to wake up all of the machines which are subject
to narcolepsy. My cron job could easily run wakeonlan for all of the
machines before amdump starts.  This will usually make the estimates
run correctly. The dump itself may fail if the machines automatically
sleep. Both dump and estimate are subject to failure if people put the
machine to sleep, but this is probably less of a worry.

Does amanda have a method of automatically running wakeonlan, or the
equivalent?  What do other people do?

--
Kevin Dalley
kevin AT kelphead DOT org