Amanda-Users

Re: is excluding /usr/local/var/amanda a bad idea ?

2005-11-14 10:12:36
Subject: Re: is excluding /usr/local/var/amanda a bad idea ?
From: "Stefan G. Weichinger" <sgw AT amanda DOT org>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2005 15:53:57 +0100
Gene Heskett wrote:
On Friday 11 November 2005 05:07, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:

He meant a script to read the complete tapes and reconstruct the
database from that information.

I don't know but what there may be such a utility hidden in the myriad
of utils that already come with amanda.  Its been a while since I
perused the docs.  Stephan W. could probably answer that better than I.

I don't know of such a script, no.

What you maybe mean is a script that I posted a while ago.
This small script backs up AMANDA-metadata like indexes and configs.
It writes the archives to a specified targetpath, which in turn may be set as a DLE inside your disklist. So you get yesterday's metadata on today's tape.

Not yet the ideal solution, but sufficient for most installations (and better than NO metadata on tape).

Maybe we can define a new wish on the AMANDA-wishlist:

A new functionality, that adds a new special DLE, containing all the metadata. amdump could dump the metadata AFTER all the regular DLEs ...

Ideas and thoughts welcome, as always.

Stefan.