Amanda-Users

Re: is excluding /usr/local/var/amanda a bad idea ?

2005-11-11 08:45:38
Subject: Re: is excluding /usr/local/var/amanda a bad idea ?
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2005 08:33:48 -0500
On Friday 11 November 2005 05:07, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:
>On Thu, 10 Nov 2005, Gene Heskett wrote:
>> On Thursday 10 November 2005 16:42, Jon LaBadie wrote:
>>
>> [...]
>>
>> >Gene H, on this list, has described his approach.  Realizing that
>> >there is generally space left on the last tape, and further, amanda
>> >does not rewind the tape when finished.  Thus he adds his tar'red
>> >up amanda tree in an extra tape file after the last amanda file.

>> >That is a tool just waiting for someone to volunteer to write.
>>
>> Who needs to write it Jon?  I simply untar/unzip the files from the
>> end of the tape (vtape in my case), back to the directory they belong
>> in.
>
>Because you didn't really loose them, since you stored them at the end
> of your tape?

Correct.  I learned early on that for some strange reason, amanda never
touched its own database, and didn't get all of its config dir.  So I
wrote a wrapper script that runs the regular amdump, then when amanda
is all done & the file locks are all released, tars up the database dir
tree and the config dir, and adds them as seperate files to the end of
the backup.  When I was using real tapes, I had to reduce the tapesize
setting by about 300 megs to make sure I had room for them.  Now I
don't care about the virtual tapes as I watch the df report mailed to
be every night and adjust the size or schedule to keep that partition
at about 90% full.

>> That doesn't really need a script does it?
>
>He meant a script to read the complete tapes and reconstruct the
> database from that information.

I don't know but what there may be such a utility hidden in the myriad
of utils that already come with amanda.  Its been a while since I
perused the docs.  Stephan W. could probably answer that better than I.

>Gr{oetje,eeting}s,
>
>      Geert
>
>--
>Geert Uytterhoeven -- There's lots of Linux beyond ia32 --
> geert AT linux-m68k DOT org
>
>In personal conversations with technical people, I call myself a
> hacker. But when I'm talking to journalists I just say "programmer" or
> something like that. -- Linus Torvalds

-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
Free OpenDocument reader/writer/converter download:
http://www.openoffice.org
message by Gene Heskett are: