Amanda-Users

Re: is excluding /usr/local/var/amanda a bad idea ?

2005-11-11 05:26:41
Subject: Re: is excluding /usr/local/var/amanda a bad idea ?
From: Geert Uytterhoeven <geert AT linux-m68k DOT org>
To: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2005 11:07:51 +0100 (CET)
On Thu, 10 Nov 2005, Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Thursday 10 November 2005 16:42, Jon LaBadie wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> >Gene H, on this list, has described his approach.  Realizing that
> >there is generally space left on the last tape, and further, amanda
> >does not rewind the tape when finished.  Thus he adds his tar'red
> >up amanda tree in an extra tape file after the last amanda file.
> >
> >> Say you lose the amanda indexes and db, is there some sort of way to
> >> rebuild it from the tapes ? Or a way to know what files (and last
> >> modified date) are on which tapes ?
> >
> >That is a tool just waiting for someone to volunteer to write.
>
> Who needs to write it Jon?  I simply untar/unzip the files from the end
> of the tape (vtape in my case), back to the directory they belong in.

Because you didn't really loose them, since you stored them at the end of your
tape?

> That doesn't really need a script does it?

He meant a script to read the complete tapes and reconstruct the database from
that information.

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

                                                Geert

--
Geert Uytterhoeven -- There's lots of Linux beyond ia32 -- geert AT linux-m68k
DOT org

                                                            -- Linus Torvalds