Amanda-Users

Re: R: 2 tapes backup...

2005-11-08 10:33:31
Subject: Re: R: 2 tapes backup...
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2005 10:24:07 -0500
On Tue, Nov 08, 2005 at 02:54:20PM +0100, Montagni, Giovanni wrote:

> [...]

The holding disk only stores untaped data.  Not all the data will be
on the holding disk at the same time.  And if you are using software
compression the dumped data will be smaller than the original.  While
it would be nice to have sufficient free space as your total data,
the holding disk need not be that large.

>From a cost perspective, your lto drive cost multi-thousand dollars
if I read the market correctly.  And tapes cost $30 or more each.
It would be only a few percentage points of your total backup investment
to add an inexpensive disk and dedicate it to holding disk space.

The benefits would be improved total time of backup due to parallelism
of multiple, simultaneous dumps and completion of the dump before you
arrive the next morning.  As it stands now, only one DLE (Disk List
Entry) can dump at a time.  And, even with a second tape, the dump
will continue the next morning while people are working.

However, you don't need a holding disk to use chg-manual.  But
there is little to go on from your description of your attempts.
What changes did you make to amanda.conf to "try with"
chg-manual?  Was runtapes one of them?  What was your observation
that it did not work?  Did you read the comments in chg-manual?
Hint, always a good idea with script as they may point out some
parameters the need to be set.  As I recall, by default
chg-manual will notify you on your terminal to change the tape.
If this is run from cron there will be no terminal.  But there
is, in the script, a way of changing from terminal messages to
email messages.

With a holding disk, the next morning when you change the tape,
amanda would just dump the untaped archives to the second tape.
But without the HD, amanda will resume its dumping, compressing,
indexing, network traffic, and taping.  All during business hours.
In addition to the impact that may make on your users, it also
means amanda is backing up file systems while they are actively
in use and possibly changing.  Never a good idea.

No, you don't need a holding disk, but get one!

jl
 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)