Amanda-Users

Re: R: 2 tapes backup...

2005-11-08 09:49:32
Subject: Re: R: 2 tapes backup...
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Tue, 08 Nov 2005 09:33:42 -0500
On Tuesday 08 November 2005 08:54, Montagni, Giovanni wrote:
>I don't use the holding disk, because i don't have enough free space to
> store data twice (the data itself and backup).
>
>Without holding disk i can't use two tapes? I hope i can...

No, because when amanda is writing direct to tape, and a filesystem dump
being written fails due to hitting EOT, then to retry it, the dump
itself would have to be restarted from scratch.  Amdump doesn't do
that.

With big disks now a commodity item, expanding the holding disk is a
trivial cost task.  If your data is valuable, that justify's the cost of
another disk.  Thats your best argument when standing in the CEO's
office asking for a check to go buy another BIG disk.

The holding disk will be empty at the end of a successful backup run,
so its only temporary usage.

And, if you have more than one partition with some free space, they can
be defined in your amanda.conf and amanda will use them in rotation as
it works.  Just be sure to set enough reserved in each one that a full
partition never occurs, say 5 or 10%, by setting a figure like -200 mb
in that description.  That way amanda will use all but the last 200
megs of each area defined.

[...]

-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
Free OpenDocument reader/writer/converter download:
http://www.openoffice.org
message by Gene Heskett are: