Amanda-Users

Re: Overwhelmed...

2005-10-14 19:58:13
Subject: Re: Overwhelmed...
From: Skylar Thompson <skylar AT cs.earlham DOT edu>
To: cgg007 AT yahoo DOT com
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2005 18:46:43 -0500
CG wrote:

I'm a bit overwhelmed by the daunting task of having to develop a backup schema
for my network, then create configuration files to match. I've read manpages,
and FAQ's and docs. The documentation is extensive, and the learning curve
looks really steep from here. Is there a quickstart guide? Some case-studies? A
good place for me to start to wrap my brain around the AMANDA concept of
backup?

If you're new to backups in general, I'd recommend getting O'Reilly's "UNIX Backup & Recovery". The URL is here:

http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/unixbr/index.html

It provides a good overview of backups and recovering from them, plus has a decent chapter on AMANDA.

--
-- Skylar Thompson (skylar AT cs.earlham DOT edu)
-- http://www.cs.earlham.edu/~skylar/