Amanda-Users

Re: Why Oh Why only THIS DLE is giving me those timeout problems ?

2005-08-30 13:46:24
Subject: Re: Why Oh Why only THIS DLE is giving me those timeout problems ?
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2005 13:34:18 -0400
On Tue, Aug 30, 2005 at 01:15:48PM -0400, Guy Dallaire wrote:

> > >Hard Links ????
> > >

> > As opposed to symbolic links. You'll probably want to read up at
> > Wikipedia on the two if you haven't heard about them before:
> >
> > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hard_link
> > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Symbolic_link
> >
> > Hard linking is fairly depricated these days AFAIK, but it's still used
> > in certain circumstances.
> >

> Yes, thanks. I know about hard links. But how would it impact the size
> or performance of my backups ? And is there a way to find the number
> of HARD links ?

When you hit a file with multiple links, two possibilities exist,
archive a copy for this and every linked directory entry tar encounters
for this file (increasing the archive size and causing unlinked restores)
or try to find the other links and see if they have already been archived.
The way to find other links is extremely slow.  Think running a separate
"find" for every single multiple link.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)