Amanda-Users

Re: Problem with backup of windows shares

2005-08-23 04:38:37
Subject: Re: Problem with backup of windows shares
From: tanguy yoann <tanguy_yoann AT yahoo DOT fr>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2005 10:23:56 +0200 (CEST)
> >        I have a problem with the backup of two
> windows
> > shares. At the beginning, always works fine: I do
> > full backup of the shares (they have the same
> > contents). After, I add a file of 255 kb in the
> two
> > shares. I do an incremental backup and I've got a
> > problem: one of the share just backup the file and
> the
> > other backup all the share. But the two backups
> are
> > going up to the level 1. Why I don't have an
> > incremental backup for the two shares?
> >
> >     The debug file sendsize.XXX.debug seems to me
> very
> > strange. There is notions of level 2 of backup.
> But we
> > know that windows share could going up just at
> level 1.
>

> This is mostly guesswork on my part without delving
> into
> the actual mechanics of the code.
>
> Remember that the server is not backing up a windows
> share
> directly.  It is backing up a unix/linux client that
> happens
> to have access to a windows share.  It is the client
> that
> makes the distinction between local DLEs and remote
> DLEs.
>
> So the planner and estimater on the server might ask
> the
> reasonable size (reasonable to ask of a unix/linux
> client)
> "if I do a level 0, level 1, and level 2 backup of
> this DLE,
> what do you think the sizes will be?"
>
> I note in your logs that the client has returned the
> same
> size for both level 1 and level 2 (6804 KB).
> Perhaps the
> client code realizes that a true level 2 can not be
> done
> on a PC share, and rather than returning an error
> "can't
> be done", simply says the same value.  This seems to
> me to
> be a reasonable response as the planner will chose
> the higher
> level 1 over the level 2 if they are the same size.

Thanks a lot for your explanation of the operation of
a windows share backup.
I understand the fact that the server backup a linux
client who have access to windows share. My client
make difference with local DLEs and remote DLEs. The
remote DLEs are :
unix client   //pc windows/share    dumptype

After, the login and the password are take in the file
amandapass. There is no problem on that.
The problem is that I have the same data on the two
shares and the backup are different.
The level 0 is the same but the level 1 is different.
However, I add the same file to the two shares.

//Yoann.neotip/backup level 1: 255 KB
//Yoann.neotip/backup1 level 1: 6804 KB

The backup of the second share is full. Why?

Regards.

Yoann, TANGUY
Student at ESINSA
Sophia-Antipolis