Amanda-Users

Re: Tapes management

2005-08-19 11:49:41
Subject: Re: Tapes management
From: Paul Bijnens <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
To: tanguy yoann <tanguy_yoann AT yahoo DOT fr>
Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2005 17:35:19 +0200
tanguy yoann wrote:
I want to make a full backup every month. At the end
of each month, I want to burn on dvd the backup (so I
use file tapes of 4.7 Gb).  For example, I use three
tapes (tape1, tape2, tape3). I want to backup the data
on tape1.  I have three tapes for the case that I do
not have enough place with only one. I want that the
backup of the next month also starts on tape1 and
crushes the backup of the previous month.  The problem
is if the first backup is on the first tape, the next
backup starts on the second tape.  How can I do to
start again on the first tape?

These are virtual tapes, backups to disk, right?

Make amanda forget the tape (amrmtape)
and create (amlabel) it again:

#!/bin/sh
CF=Monthly
amtape $CF show | grep '^slot' |
while IFS=': ' read x slot x x x label
do
    amrmtape $CF $label
    amlabel $CF $label slot $slot
done
amtape $CF reset    # position on slot 1
amdump $CF

(I did not test this, but would be glad to get
feedback if it worked or not.)

Sorry for my english

You should hear my english :-)

* I think I've got the hang of it now:  exit, ^D, ^C, ^\, ^Z, ^Q, ^^, *
* F6, quit, ZZ, :q, :q!, M-Z, ^X^C, logoff, logout, close, bye, /bye, *
* init 0, kill -9 1, Alt-F4, Ctrl-Alt-Del, AltGr-NumLock, Stop-A, ... *