Amanda-Users

Re: Has anyone a script for Monthly/Daily backups

2005-08-19 07:58:22
Subject: Re: Has anyone a script for Monthly/Daily backups
From: Paul Bijnens <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
To: chuck AT smtl.co DOT uk
Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2005 13:47:29 +0200
Chuck Amadi Systems Administrator wrote:
Hi all

I would like comments on this solution to run fortnight daily backup
using 10 tapes.
and on the last Friday of the month to run a Monthly backup for
archiving purposes and pull out of System until the following year.

I have hacked up two scripts from the this list.

First of all here is mt cronjob::
I need to know what tape is in the current tape drive be it the usual
daily tape
and of course if it happened to be the last friday in the month or say a
monday I will to put the next daily tape or on the thursday before the
last friday of the month backup to be ready to put the next monthly tape
in.

I am aware the amdump send a report on failures or successful backups
but
if a daily schedule is run and it's going to be a last friday and I put
in daily tape does the script ignore the daily tape and amdump monthly report So and
thus I can say on monday put in the monthly tape and run amflush.

Cheers

# Check which Amanda tape if Daily or Monthly.
0 14 * *  1-5 /usr/sbin/check_amanda_tape.sh

45 19 * * 1-5 /usr/sbin/last_friday_month.sh

I'm not certain at what times you are awake or asleep, but
running amcheck at a qarter past midnight is a strange
time.  Why not run it at e.g. 16:45, so that you already
have inserted the tape in the day, and amcheck is the safety
line to verify if you inserted the correct one.

Or may be run amcheck twice: once to tell you which tape
is expected (ok, 0:45 is fine, but 7:45, just before
arriving at the office, is better -- the backupjob started
at 19:45 the evening before might still be busy at 0:14)
and another amcheck a little before leaving as safety
measure that you inserted indeed the right tape.

Here is the Last Friday In Month script (last_friday_month.sh).
#!/bin/sh
# Script last_friday_month.sh
# chmod 755
# Amdump - Last friday of the month script to check prior to running
usual daily tape
# or the monthly tape backup.
# Ensure the in the amamda.conf file the within the dumptype
# paramter for root-tar that record is set to no # example - record no This is to stop Monthly ruining the Daily
Schedule.
# Summarisation of the script
# cal - prints month calendar
# awk - selects friday column date
# tail - last date
# -eq -  date compared last date with todays date.

It's not critical of course, but I would correct the spelling
and grammar errors in the comments too.
Besides that, the name of the script is bizar too: is
does not run "only on friday", as the name would suggest,
but it runs always, but does different things on some days.
Why not name it "amanda_backup.sh" ?

if [ `cal | awk 'NF >= 6 {print $6}' | tail -1` -eq `date +%d` ]
then  su -c "/usr/sbin/amdump MonthlySet"
else  su -c "/usr/sbin/amdump DailySet1"
fi

Do not run amdump as root, run as it amanda, i.e. remove the "su"
command, and use amanda's crontab to run the shell script.

* I think I've got the hang of it now:  exit, ^D, ^C, ^\, ^Z, ^Q, ^^, *
* F6, quit, ZZ, :q, :q!, M-Z, ^X^C, logoff, logout, close, bye, /bye, *
* init 0, kill -9 1, Alt-F4, Ctrl-Alt-Del, AltGr-NumLock, Stop-A, ... *