Amanda-Users

Re: planner,dumper and amcheck keep reverting back to (not setuid-root)

2005-07-29 13:53:39
Subject: Re: planner,dumper and amcheck keep reverting back to (not setuid-root)
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: Amanda List <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2005 13:39:24 -0400
On Fri, Jul 29, 2005 at 03:34:29PM +0100, Chuck Amadi Systems Administrator
wrote:
> Hi
>
> I run by hand amcheck it is in my crontab but every now and then I run
> it to check.
>
> Amanda Tape Server Host Check
> -----------------------------
> WARNING: program /usr/lib/amanda/planner: not setuid-root
> WARNING: program /usr/lib/amanda/dumper: not setuid-root
> WARNING: program /usr/sbin/amcheck: not setuid-root
>
>  Thus I use chmod u+s as root.
>
> # chmod u+s /usr/lib/amanda/planner
> # chmod u+s /usr/lib/amanda/dumper
> # chmod u+s /usr/sbin/amcheck
>
> The above sorts this out bit I have had to do this a few times this
> week.
>
> I haven't got to do this on the other tape server Where is the best
> place to check why it keeps reverting to the following below.

Chuck,

I hope you realize this has nothing to do with amanda.

The system probably has some "security" program that
runs periodically and reports on all root-setuid programs.
Perhaps automatically removing the setuid on those not
in some list of "known safe" programs.

I once had an AT&T sysadmin who when to a security class.
At the class they learned that setuid programs were a
huge security problem.  When she got back, that Sunday night,
she came in to the training site where I consulted and ran
a find command on all the systems to locate and remove all
setuid permissions on all programs.

Monday morning, very little worked right.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)