Amanda-Users

Re: How smart is AMANDA

2005-07-13 05:08:57
Subject: Re: How smart is AMANDA
From: Geert Uytterhoeven <geert AT linux-m68k DOT org>
To: Bert_De_Ridder AT peopleware DOT be
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2005 10:53:16 +0200 (CEST)
On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 Bert_De_Ridder AT peopleware DOT be wrote:
> You could use a script that 'replaces' tar on the client and that checks
> to see if a job is still running, if there is, it waits with the tar
> command.
>
> I don't have the document describing the procedure with me right now, but
> I use this kind of scripts to shut down databases and/or other services on
> clients before I send the data.

This may work fine for `short' delays, but not for jobs that may take more than
a day. Then Amanda will time out.

Alternatively, make the client not accept amanda connections when it's busy, so
it looks like the client is powered down. As long as it's available at least
once during the dumpcycle, amanda will be happy to back it up.

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

                                                Geert

--
Geert Uytterhoeven -- There's lots of Linux beyond ia32 -- geert AT linux-m68k
DOT org

                                                            -- Linus Torvalds