Amanda-Users

Re: chg-zd-mtx always cleans?

2005-07-05 22:19:07
Subject: Re: chg-zd-mtx always cleans?
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Tue, 05 Jul 2005 22:11:40 -0400
On Tuesday 05 July 2005 12:55, Jon LaBadie wrote:
>On Tue, Jul 05, 2005 at 09:56:52AM -0600, Graeme Humphries wrote:
>> Here's another little oddity I've been noticing: when using the
>> chg-zd-mtx changer script, even though I've set autoclean to 0 and
>> cleanslot to 7, when I do an "amtape update" it *always* loads and
>> runs the cleaning tape, and does a cleaning cycle. This, in turn,
>> screws up the update.
>>
>> Is this supposed to happen? Am I missing a piece of configuration
>> for that changer script? :)
>
>Do your slot numbers, "first slot" to "last slot" include the
>slot with the cleaning tape?
>
>If like my DDS3 changer, amanda may not be "running" the
>cleaning tape; but instead just loading it.  On my changer
>that causes the magazine to be ejected at the end of the
>cleaning run.
>
>I ended up not having a cleaning tape in the magazine at all.
>Load it manually when I want to clean.

There is also a numbering base difference Jon, some of amanda runs on
base 0 numbers and some of it runs on base 1 numbers.

If the magazine has room for 8 tapes, then in chg-scsi for instance,
the slots are 0-7, and if you have a cleaning tape in the last slot
then the first slot is still 0, but the last-slot becomes 6.  You are
still specing 7 usable slots and the cleaner tape then is in slot 7.
How this works in the other changer scripts I don't know.

-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
message by Gene Heskett are: