Amanda-Users

Re: disk offline?

2005-06-02 15:28:08
Subject: Re: disk offline?
From: Cameron Matheson <cmatheson3 AT yahoo DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Thu, 2 Jun 2005 12:05:58 -0700 (PDT)
Hi,

> > FAILURE AND STRANGE DUMP SUMMARY:
> >   devdb.tons /dev/ida/c0d0p2 lev 0 FAILED [disk
> > /dev/ida/c0d0p2 offline on
> >  devdb.tonservices.com?]
> > Ok, the whole /dev/ida/c0d0p2 thing is a word
> device i
> > will admit, but it's definitely not offline...
>
> Does this setup pass amcheck?

yes, 0 problems found.

> Could you have a look in devdb.tons'
> /tmp/amanda/sendbackup.* file
> whether there's something suspicious going on?  It's
> most probably
> either a typo or a permissions problem.

hmm, there is no sendbackup file... i'm assuming it
never got that file.  i did look around in a few of
the other files, and the problem seems to be here at
how it's running tar:

 /bin/tar --create --file /dev/null --directory
/dev/ida/c0d0p2
 --one-file-system --listed-incremental
/var/lib/amanda/gnutar-lists/devdb.tonser
vices.com_dev_ida_c0d0p2_0.new --sparse
--ignore-failed-read --totals .

--directory /dev/ida/c0d0p2!! i'm not sure why that
is... here's the entry from my disklist file:

devdb.tonservices.com /dev/ida/c0d0p2 root-tar

it's similar to my other clients which are all working
fine... why would it be sending this tar command? (the
other clients are all having '/' be their directory)

> Are you using GNUTAR or DUMP?  In case of GNUTAR,
> can you try giving the mountpoint instead of the >
> device file, if my first suggestions don't help?

hmmm, i never even thought about that... does that
mean that instead of specifying the device, i can just
type '/' and it will back up everything (except for
the stuff in excludes)?

> > (that isn't so big of a deal), what is a problem
> is
> > that it shouldn't even be backing up anything in
> /tmp/
> > or oldstuff (here's my exclude file): <snip>
> Actually, there is no known problem whatsoever with
> exclude lists.  The
> other thread that you allude to, will most probably
> just debug the
> exclude file's syntax.  Same thing for you, are you
> sure that your
> exclude file is correctly taken into account?
> Again, the files in
> /tmp/amanda/ on the client will tell you that.

ok, i was just retarded... i reread the man page and
it turns out that i should have been using 'exclude
list "blah"' instead of 'exclude file "blah''.  i
changed that and i'm assuming it works now.

so i'll try switching the /dev/ida/thing to just '/'
and see if that works.  thanks a lot!

Cameron Matheson

Discover Yahoo!
http://discover.yahoo.com/