Amanda-Users

Re: The Old '[hostnames do not match:' Please help

2005-05-20 19:14:34
Subject: Re: The Old '[hostnames do not match:' Please help
From: Frank Smith <fsmith AT hoovers DOT com>
To: wfarqwark AT northtech DOT net, amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 20 May 2005 17:57:07 -0500
--On Friday, May 20, 2005 17:16:00 -0500 Frank Smith <fsmith AT hoovers DOT
com> wrote:

> --On Friday, May 20, 2005 12:56:12 -0700 Ted S <wfarqwark AT northtech DOT
> net> wrote:
>
>> I have see a lot of messages on the above issue when running amcheck  - AND -
>> I still cannot get it working....   The error is below..
>>
>> Amanda Backup Client Hosts Check
>> --------------------------------
>> ERROR: ns2.OurDomain.com: [hostnames do not match: bkup233
>> bkup233.OurDomain.com]
>> ERROR: tsudtell.OurDomain.com: [hostnames do not match: bkup233
>> bkup233.OurDomain.com]
>> Client check: 3 hosts checked in 10.019 seconds, 2 problems found
>
> It looks like the host in your disklist doesn't match what the IP resolves
> to, but only
> because your DNS resolution isn't set up for unqualified hostnames.  See
> below.
>>
>> The 3ed or working one is 'localhost'
>
> Using 'localhost' as a DLE will bite you someday, see the the 'Top 10' list
> for
> reasons: <http://www.amanda.org/docs/topten.html#id2554763>
>>
>> ns2 and tsudtell are the clients and bkup233 is the backup server.
>> Where do they not match? Client or server?  I can do a nslookup, host on
>> bkup233 and it gets
>> the same ip.  I can ping all the names FQ or not.
>> dig on bkup233 does not return anything, but on  bkup233.OurDomain.com works
>> find.
>
> They don't match on the server (they might not match on the client, either,
> but I think
> the server is where that error is generated.

I hate to reply to myself, but on a re-read it seems they don't match on the
client.

Frank

--
Frank Smith                                      fsmith AT hoovers DOT com
Sr. Systems Administrator                       Voice: 512-374-4673