Amanda-Users

Re: The Old '[hostnames do not match:' Please help

2005-05-20 18:33:07
Subject: Re: The Old '[hostnames do not match:' Please help
From: Frank Smith <fsmith AT hoovers DOT com>
To: wfarqwark AT northtech DOT net, amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 20 May 2005 17:16:00 -0500
--On Friday, May 20, 2005 12:56:12 -0700 Ted S <wfarqwark AT northtech DOT net>
wrote:

> I have see a lot of messages on the above issue when running amcheck  - AND -
> I still cannot get it working....   The error is below..
>
> Amanda Backup Client Hosts Check
> --------------------------------
> ERROR: ns2.OurDomain.com: [hostnames do not match: bkup233
> bkup233.OurDomain.com]
> ERROR: tsudtell.OurDomain.com: [hostnames do not match: bkup233
> bkup233.OurDomain.com]
> Client check: 3 hosts checked in 10.019 seconds, 2 problems found

It looks like the host in your disklist doesn't match what the IP resolves to,
but only
because your DNS resolution isn't set up for unqualified hostnames.  See below.

> The 3ed or working one is 'localhost'

Using 'localhost' as a DLE will bite you someday, see the the 'Top 10' list for
reasons: <http://www.amanda.org/docs/topten.html#id2554763>

> ns2 and tsudtell are the clients and bkup233 is the backup server.
> Where do they not match? Client or server?  I can do a nslookup, host on
> bkup233 and it gets
> the same ip.  I can ping all the names FQ or not.
> dig on bkup233 does not return anything, but on  bkup233.OurDomain.com works
> find.

They don't match on the server (they might not match on the client, either, but
I think
the server is where that error is generated.  You probably need:
domain  OurDomain.com
in the resolv.conf (or equivilent) on your amanda server so that your server
knows
to append your domain name to the hostname  before doing the lookup.
A workaround would be to use the FQDN in your disklist, but it's best to fix
the actual
problem.

Frank

--
Frank Smith                                      fsmith AT hoovers DOT com
Sr. Systems Administrator                       Voice: 512-374-4673