Amanda-Users

Re: amanda daily and monthly crontab -e entries

2005-04-20 10:34:37
Subject: Re: amanda daily and monthly crontab -e entries
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: Amanda List <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2005 10:22:11 -0400
On Wed, Apr 20, 2005 at 12:16:37PM +0100, Chuck Amadi wrote:
> Hi all
>
> For my daily and monthly backups for the crontab -e I have my test up
> and running just want a bit of advise as some mail list suggest running
> amcheck a few hours before amdump to give the admin possibilities to
> correct any issues.
>
> Also I anticipate that my config-name <DailySet1> which I will change to
> the Organisation name after testing /local/sw/amanda/DailySet1 I created
> and label 5 tapes as follows for monday to friday.

Shouldn't there be 7 (or 8) to match the tapecycle?

> Thus likewise for my MonthlySet1 which I have edited the amanda.conf
> org parameter and labelstr to suit MonthlySet.
>
> # Backup daily dumps
>
> 5 2 * * 1,2,3,4,5 su amanda -c /local/sw/amanda/bckup/sbin/amdump
> DailySet1
>
> 0 16 * * 1,2,3,4,5 su -c /local/sw/amanda/bckup/sbin/amcheck DailySet1

Why not put them in amanda's crontab instead of root's?
Then no su.

Joshua already mentioned the off-by-one days problem.
He suggested changing the dump days to 2-6.  Beaware
that you could also change the check days to 0-4 instead.
Depends on when you want your first dump of the week to
run, overnight Sun/Mon or overnight Mon/Tues.  Myself,
I don't like a 5 day backup week.  I like a 6 day one.
One catches each weekday, and the Sun/Mon overnight extra
one catches all the weekend work without waiting for the
Mon/Tues overnight which would then catch 3 days of work.

> # Backup monthly full dumps for archives on the 2nd day of each
> and every month of the year at 6.30am.
>
> 30 6 2 1-12 * su amanda -c /local/sw/amanda/bckup/sbin/amdump
> MonthlySet1
>
> # Backup check running amcheck at 4.30pm on the 2nd day of each and
> every month.
> 30 16 2 1-12 * su amanda -c /local/sw/amanda/bckup/sbin/amcheck
> MonthlySet1

1-12 is also *

You can't run two amanda's simultaneously.  Are you certain the
2AM run will be finished by the time the 6:30 run is done?
Also, the 6:30 run might be running while people are coming
into and starting to work.  May be noticible by them and
increases the chance of backup errors due to an active system.
You might want to consider a first (or last) Sunday of the
month type of scheme rather than a fixed "2nd" of the month.
This will require that you run a shell script from crontab
that actually starts the amdump.  It will run each of the
first 7 days of the month and if the day of the week is
Sunday, it runs your amdump, otherwise exits.

> Is this the right path for Daily backups and Monthly full backups that I
> will pull out for archiving.
>
> Cheers
>
> Chuck
>

> Unix/ Linux Systems Administrator
>
> The Surgical Material Testing Laboratory (SMTL),
> Princess of Wales Hospital
> Coity Road
> Bridgend,
> United Kingdom, CF31 1RQ.
>
> Tel: +44 1656 752820
> Fax: +44 1656 752830
>

>>> End of included message <<<

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)