Amanda-Users

Re: Amanda Security

2005-04-13 13:24:37
Subject: Re: Amanda Security
From: Brian Cuttler <brian AT wadsworth DOT org>
To: Mike <miket AT silvercrk DOT com>
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2005 13:13:29 -0400
Amanda uses native tools, it is itself a scheduler.

So, yes, if you have a decent tar or the OS specific restore
program and DD you can restore files elsewhere. Amanda is designed
to get you out of a bootstrap problem.

There have been messages regarding encryption, I believe of both
the tape and for data-in-transit between client and server, but
that is an add-on, not part of the basic config.

There is just no getting around physical security, of the computer
room, the tape archive area. Then you have to worry about SW security,
the network, Firewall, user training for passwords, the social engineering
aspects of your help desk...

On Wed, Apr 13, 2005 at 09:59:01AM -0700, Mike wrote:
> So, I am in the middle of installing amanda at a client location and
> they come in and ask me about security.  Specifically can someone else
> backup or restore their data.
>
> Where can I find a good answer to this question?
>
> I have been using amanda for years and never really  thought about it,
> but I guess its a good and valid question.

---
   Brian R Cuttler                 brian.cuttler AT wadsworth DOT org