Amanda-Users

Re: Amanda Security

2005-04-13 13:35:02
Subject: Re: Amanda Security
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2005 13:28:19 -0400
On Wed, Apr 13, 2005 at 09:59:01AM -0700, Mike wrote:
> So, I am in the middle of installing amanda at a client location and
> they come in and ask me about security.  Specifically can someone else
> backup or restore their data.
>
> Where can I find a good answer to this question?
>
> I have been using amanda for years and never really  thought about it,
> but I guess its a good and valid question.

Using amanda tools, root access is required.
Using non-amanda tools anyone who can access the tape and the tape drive
could use /bin/{dd|restore|tar|gzip} to access the data.

You could encrypt using an inline encryption cmd and an amdump or gtar wrapper.
Pointers to a paper describing that have been posted often.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)