Amanda-Users

Re: Large Amanda installations

2005-04-11 10:14:59
Subject: Re: Large Amanda installations
From: Brian Cuttler <brian AT wadsworth DOT org>
To: Nick Jones <nickj AT joneshome DOT us>
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2005 10:05:22 -0400
Nick,

Amanda does not, as far as I know, allow backups to write to multiple
drives concurrently. It can switch tape in a jukebox and it can swap
to a second drive unit when the first is full, but concurrent writing
isn't a feature I'm aware of.

At my site I've done something that I believe is similar to what Joshua
has done. I have an amanda server with two amanda configs, to avoid
conficts, because they run at the same time, and because I wanted to
avoid rebuilding binaries with non-standard sockets, I run one where
all DLE are local to the server and one where the amanda-clients are
all not-on-the-server. Within each config amanda does the scheduling
but I'm able to make rapid use of two drives concurrently. FYI, these
are LTO drives in 9 slot jukeboxes.

On Sat, Apr 09, 2005 at 03:13:54PM -0500, Nick Jones wrote:
> Wouldn't it still be more efficient to let AMANDA's planner take care of
> which backups go to which drives and at what times?
>

> --
> Nick

---
   Brian R Cuttler                 brian.cuttler AT wadsworth DOT org