Amanda-Users

RE: Large Amanda installations

2005-04-09 16:16:48
Subject: RE: Large Amanda installations
From: Joshua Baker-LePain <jlb17 AT duke DOT edu>
To: Nick Jones <nickj AT joneshome DOT us>
Date: Sat, 9 Apr 2005 16:06:16 -0400 (EDT)
On Sat, 9 Apr 2005 at 9:15am, Nick Jones wrote

> As it stands (and as far as I know) the only way to tape to multiple drives
> simultaneously is to use "juke" in conjunction with AMANDA.  Native support
> for a multi-slot and multi-drive changer would be nice. Thanks.

That's not exactly true.  I use both drives in my changer simply by
running two configs simultaneously.  To some extent, it's just an added
level of parallelization.  When I had only one drive and was using
'runtapes=2', the backups sometimes ran well into the day.  With two
drives, two configs, and runtapes=1, they're always done in the early AM.

As to the original question, I've got ~4.8TB of used space over 4 servers
(out of ~5.2GB formatted space), and back it up using a 2 drive, 19 slot
AIT3 changer.  With a new 6TB server arriving Monday, I'm looking hard at
LTO3 changers...

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
Department of Biomedical Engineering