Amanda-Users

Re: amflush problem

2004-10-21 01:18:46
Subject: Re: amflush problem
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2004 01:10:37 -0400
On Wed, Oct 20, 2004 at 01:04:12PM -0400, Jon LaBadie wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 14, 2004 at 11:10:47AM -0400, Frederic Medery wrote:
> > Hello,
> > every time I do a amflush i received this report :
> >
> > The dumps were flushed to tape daily-05.
> > The next tape Amanda expects to use is: daily-02.
> >

> > STATISTICS:
> >                          Total       Full      Daily
> >                        --------   --------   --------
> > Estimate Time (hrs:min)    0:00
> > Run Time (hrs:min)         0:01
> > Dump Time (hrs:min)        0:00       0:00       0:00
> > Output Size (meg)           0.0        0.0        0.0
> > Original Size (meg)         0.0        0.0        0.0
> > Avg Compressed Size (%)     --         --         --
> > Filesystems Dumped            0          0          0
> > Avg Dump Rate (k/s)         --         --         --
> >
> > Tape Time (hrs:min)        0:00       0:00       0:00
> > Tape Size (meg)             0.0        0.0        0.0
> > Tape Used (%)               0.0        0.0        0.0
> > Filesystems Taped             0          0          0
> > Avg Tp Write Rate (k/s)     --         --         --
> >
> > USAGE BY TAPE:
> >  Label          Time      Size      %    Nb
> >  daily-05       0:00       0.0    0.0     0
> >

> > How can i troubleshoot amflush (I run it as amanda user)
> >

> I just took a guess and did an experiment ...
>
> First, did you get some initial comments by amflush saying
> something like "todays date is xxxxxx"?  Then asking if you
> really want to do this?
>
>     ==  OR  ==
>
> Did you get something like:
>
>   A. some_date
>   B. some_date
>
> Then amflush asked which dumps or all do you want to flush?
>

> My guess is the former; that is based on my experiment.
>
> I had nothing to flush, but I ran amflush.  It gave me the
> first dialog then "wasted" a tape and gave me a report full
> of zeros like you show.
>
> An interesting side-effect of this was the creation of a
> directory named with today's date in each of my holding disks.
> They were removed at the end of the amflush run, but if amflush
> were terminated early, it might appear there were dumps left
> in the holding disk because of the directories existence.
>

> I feel this is improper behavior on the part of amflush.
> If nothing was detected that could be flushed, it seems to
> me that amflush should say so and exit.  But maybe there is
> an explanation of which I'm unaware.  I will ask on the
> hacker's list if someone could explain the behavior and/or
> adjust this behavior.

Just a follow-up.

I posted the note to the hacker's list and JLM supplied
a patch that corrected the behavior.  I'm sure it will
be comming to a source repository near you real soon now.

jl
 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)