Amanda-Users

Re: amrecover failing

2004-10-18 14:27:19
Subject: Re: amrecover failing
From: Frank Smith <fsmith AT hoovers DOT com>
To: pll+amanda AT permabit DOT com, amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2004 13:23:42 -0500
--On Monday, October 18, 2004 13:26:24 -0400 pll+amanda AT permabit DOT com
wrote:

> Debian/stable (2.4.22 kernel)
> Amanda-2.4.4p2
> tar (GNU tar) 1.13.25
>
> Hi all,
>
> I'm trying to use amrecover to restore a users homedir, and keep
> getting the following error when I answer 'Y' to the 'Load tape now'
> question:
>
>     EOF, check amidxtaped.<timestamp>.debug file on
> space-monster.permabit.com.
>     amrecover: short block 0 bytes
>     UNKNOWN file
>     amrecover: Can't read file header
>     extract_list - child returned non-zero status: 1
>
> At first I thought maybe I had a bad tape, but I've tried on several
> tapes, all with the same results.  I just did an 'amtape <conf> update'
> and that was able to correctly read the amanda labels off all of the
> tapes.
>
> Any ideas?

Have you tried an 'mt rewind' before you press 'Y' ?  Also be aware
that sometimes even after you get your prompt back from the rewind
command, the drive isn't ready yet for another command and will error
on a read right afterwards.   Try to rewind the tape and wait a few
seconds after the activity light goes out before doing anything.
  If you can't see the light, then just try doing an 'mt status' and
make sure that returns ok and shows BOT before you hit 'Y' in amrecover.

Frank

--
Frank Smith                                      fsmith AT hoovers DOT com
Sr. Systems Administrator                       Voice: 512-374-4673