Amanda-Users

Re: how to automate tape changing

2004-10-18 10:28:32
Subject: Re: how to automate tape changing
From: Toralf Lund <toralf AT procaptura DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2004 16:07:48 +0200
Jukka Salmi wrote:

Hi,

I'm using the chg-disk tape changer. When restoring files using
amrecover, after adding some files and issuing the extract command,
amrecover tells me what tapes are needed, and asks me to "Load tape
<label> now". I load the needed tape using amtape, and tell amrecover
to continue. After a while I'm promted to load another tape, and
so on...

Is it possible to automate the process of loading the needed tapes?
Yes. I'm using the following tape device setup to do this:

tpchanger "chg-zd-mtx"
tapedev "/dev/nrtape"
rawtapedev "/dev/tape"
changerfile "chg-mtx"
changerdev "/dev/changer"

amrecover_changer "/dev/nrtape"
amrecover_do_fsf yes
amrecover_check_label yes

It's amrecover_changer that does the trick; essentially it tells amrecover to use the tape changer or the tape device is set to /dev/nrtape.

That's not very important, but maybe "nice to have".

TIA, Jukka