Amanda-Users

Re: Failed dump:vxdump returned 3

2004-10-18 10:20:00
Subject: Re: Failed dump:vxdump returned 3
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2004 10:03:23 -0400
On Mon, Oct 18, 2004 at 09:06:03AM -0400, Mangala Gunadasa wrote:
> All,
> I have been backing up 41 file systems on  6 Unix servers using amanda.
> Recently, I have been getting the following error messages on some file
> systems. I'd appreciate any yhoughts on resolving this problem.
>
> FAILURE AND STRANGE DUMP SUMMARY:
>   eprod      /eg lev 0 FAILED [/usr/sbin/vxdump returned 3]

I don't have vxdump on my system.  Man pages sometimes list
a meaning for the exit status' of their programs.  For
example, my ufsdump manpage shows this:

  EXIT STATUS
     While running, ufsdump emits many verbose messages.
     ufsdump returns the following exit values:

     0     Normal exit.
     1     Startup errors encountered.
     3     Abort - no checkpoint attempted.

Your man page for vxdump may show something enlightening.
Or not :((

jl
 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)