Amanda-Users

Re: how to automate tape changing

2004-10-19 06:40:32
Subject: Re: how to automate tape changing
From: Toralf Lund <toralf AT procaptura DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2004 12:36:55 +0200
Paul Bijnens wrote:

Jukka Salmi wrote:

Paul Bijnens --> amanda-users (2004-10-18 22:14:10 +0200):

Before the chg-disk tape changer was written, I used the chg-multi
changer with the file-driver.  It's a little more complicated
to configure, but the advantage is that it finds and load automatically
the vtapes.

To what extent (with regard to functionality) does this differ from
using chg-disk and setting amrecover_changer to the same value as
tapedev?

Just tried this out with the chg-disk changer instead of the chg-multi
and it works fine indeed.
Don't know why I thought it wouldn't.

One remark about amrecover_changer:  because a changer does not have
a name in /dev (especially the chg-disk, or the chg-multi changer),
amanda introduced the "amrecover_changer" parameter to name your changer. My changer is called: amrecover_changer "changer" .
Some people (distro's even) call it /dev/null, some the same as
an existing tapedevice.  Personally I find that confusing.

Yes. Personally I'm using the following parameters for a config that dumps to disk (using chg-multi):

tpchanger "chg-multi"
changerfile "chg-multi.conf"
tapedev "changer"
rawtapedev "/dev/null"
amrecover_changer "changer"
amrecover_check_label yes

The values I posted earlier were actually for a real tape changer setup.

- Toralf