Amanda-Users

Re: tar/gzip problems on restore (CRC error, "Archive contains obsolescentbase-64 headers"...)

2004-10-14 05:24:17
Subject: Re: tar/gzip problems on restore (CRC error, "Archive contains obsolescentbase-64 headers"...)
From: Geert Uytterhoeven <geert AT linux-m68k DOT org>
To: Toralf Lund <toralf AT procaptura DOT com>
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2004 10:33:54 +0200 (MEST)
On Thu, 14 Oct 2004, Toralf Lund wrote:
> Gene Heskett wrote:
> > Also, the gzip here is 1.3.3, dated in 2002.  There may have been fixes to
> > it, probably in the >2GB file sizes areas.
> >
> Ahem. If >2GB data is or has been a problem, then I'm definitely doomed, since
> Amanda dumps tend to get a lot larger than that (on our systems, and I would
> assume, also in general.)

If gzip has problems in the > 2 GiB file size areas, usually it's related to
displaying statistics (try `gzip -l' on a large compressed file).

I never heard of problems with the actual compression, which is stream based
and thus shouldn't suffer from such limitations.

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

                                                Geert

--
Geert Uytterhoeven -- There's lots of Linux beyond ia32 -- geert AT linux-m68k
DOT org

                                                            -- Linus Torvalds