Amanda-Users

Re: tar/gzip problems on restore (CRC error, "Archive contains obsolescentbase-64 headers"...)

2004-10-13 06:57:43
Subject: Re: tar/gzip problems on restore (CRC error, "Archive contains obsolescentbase-64 headers"...)
From: Alexander Jolk <alexj AT buf DOT com>
To: Toralf Lund <toralf AT procaptura DOT com>
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2004 12:52:03 +0200
Toralf Lund wrote:
> tar: Skipping to next header
> tar: Archive contains obsolescent base-64 headers
> 37800+0 records in
> 37800+0 records out
>
> gzip: stdin: invalid compressed data--crc error
> tar: Child returned status 1

I've had the same message from tar on what were apparently erroneous
backups.  I believe the `obsolescent base-64 header' message is what you
get whenever tar's input is corrupted, which seems to be confirmed by
gzip's `crc error'.  I'd venture to say your backups are hosed; if that
arrives systematically, you might want to investigate your SCSI chain.
(Sacrificed a goat lately?)

Alex

--
Alexander Jolk         /         BUF Compagnie
tel +33-1 42 68 18 28 /  fax +33-1 42 68 18 29