Amanda-Users

Does each amanda profile require a different holding disk location?

2004-09-28 22:48:10
Subject: Does each amanda profile require a different holding disk location?
From: Mike Fedyk <mfedyk AT matchmail DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2004 19:45:17 -0700
I think I just found out why most of my backups are going over the end of the tape.

Here's a description of my setup:

   *

     Mon-Thu - Daily incremental with full level 0 backup every 7 runs
     on a rotation of 10 tapes. Each incremental level is on a minimum
     of two tapes in case of tape failure.

   *

     Friday - Weekly incremental with full level 0 backup every 4 runs
     on a rotation of 6 tapes.

   *

     Mon-Fri Daily incremental backup to hard disk on a rotation of 5 runs.

And they were all using the same holding disk with autoflush turned on.

I checked the files in the holding disk and the headers don't identify which profile they're associated with (probably for good reason -- what if you changed a profile name?).

So I have set up different holding disk directories for each profile.

Is this documented anywhere?

Thanks,

Mike