Amanda-Users

Re: How exactly does Amanda get access to files?

2004-09-20 11:26:32
Subject: Re: How exactly does Amanda get access to files?
From: Joshua Baker-LePain <jlb17 AT duke DOT edu>
To: Ivan Petrovich <laveer AT tuphaan.engr.wichita DOT edu>
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2004 11:24:15 -0400 (EDT)
On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 at 8:56am, Ivan Petrovich wrote

> Here's the problem:
> I mounted a remote file system on a GNU/Linux system using autofs, and
> amdump fails to back up some files on this file system due to
> "Permission denied." I verified that the files which give this error
> are those that have the 'read' permission bit turned off for 'others'.

*snip*

> So my questions are:
> 1. How exactly does Amanda's client get read access to all files that
> it dumps when it uses 'gtar'?

When using tar, amanda executes it via the setuid root 'runtar' script.
So, tar is run as root.

> 2. Does any one know why it couldn't read all files on an auto-mounted
> file system?

At a guess, the default NFS export option (at least on Linux) is to map
root (from clients) to nobody (on the server).  I'd guess that that is
what's going on.

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
Department of Biomedical Engineering