Amanda-Users

Re: Where is my amgetidx?

2004-09-09 09:07:03
Subject: Re: Where is my amgetidx?
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 2004 09:00:59 -0400
On Thu, Sep 09, 2004 at 10:43:01AM +0100, Simon Hildrew wrote:
> I have a very similar problem.  I get no index files produced, so I can't
> use amrecover.  In the FAQ it suggests that I might no have it enabled, but
> 'index yes' is in my global dumptype.  In my first ever dump, the cdirectory
> I had specified did not exist, so I have since created it by hand.
>
> Whilst a backup runs absolutely fine and I can use amrestore to obtain the
> tar files from the tapes, amdump is still refusing to create indexes.
>
> What trouble-shooting can anyone suggest to track this down?

First shot, ask amadmin to dump the paramaters of some of your DLE's.

  amadmin <config> disklist <host> <dle-name>

It should output "index YES" among other things.

Then I would check the various "dir" settings in amanda.conf.
Make sure they exist and are readable/writable by the amanda user/group.

> Particularly, I'm not very clear on:
> How exactly the indexing program gets run?
> Where I would expect indexing related errors to appear in logs / if I need
> to enable any debugging to get more information?

Indexing is done by duplicating the backup data stream (from tar
or dump) and passing the second copy through a recovery program
(tar or restore) to /dev/null but capturing the file list it
generates and sending that over a separate data stream to the
tape host (separate network connection).  It is then compressed
on the tape host.  Upshot is you need to look both on the client
logs and the tape host logs for possible problems.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)