Amanda-Users

Re: gnutar and IRIX ACLs

2004-07-30 11:24:19
Subject: Re: gnutar and IRIX ACLs
From: Joshua Baker-LePain <jlb17 AT duke DOT edu>
To: Jean-Francois Malouin <Jean-Francois.Malouin AT bic.mni.mcgill DOT ca>
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2004 11:20:14 -0400 (EDT)
On Fri, 30 Jul 2004 at 10:50am, Jean-Francois Malouin wrote

> I find myself forced to use ACLs for a finer-grained permissions setup
> of a few filesystems (Irix CXFS) and I wonder if any of you had done a
> similar thing. The irix tar claims to have the capability of backing
> up ACLs but I can't use it because of other problems with this
> version. Right now I'm using gtar (GNU tar) 1.13.25 along with
> Amanda-2.4.4p1-20031120. I can't use xfsdump/xfsrestore due to the
> fact that these filesystems are much bigger than my tapes (LTO1) and I
> cannot split the filesystems like I do with gtar (xfsdump will only do
> full backups for directories).
>
> If that is still not possible to backup (and restore!) ACLs with
> gnutar I was thinking of periodically updating a file containing all
> the ACLs and I case of a restore just apply the relevent ACLs on top
> of the restored file.
>
> Am I fishing in troubled waters?
> Has anyone done something similar?

Where I can't use xfsdump/restore, I do indeed dump the ACLs to a file for
future restore if the need arises.  At least I used to... <fx: roots
around in FSs/memory/man pages>.  Ah, try something like this in your
crontab before amanda runs:

getfacl -R dirname > /somewhare/safe/dirname.ACLs

If the need to restore the ACLs on dirname, you'd do

setfacl --restore=/somewhare/safe/dirname.ACLs

Note that I took the command line flags from the man pages for {s|g}etfacl
on a Red Hat 9 box, so check them against the IRIX man pages.

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
Department of Biomedical Engineering