Amanda-Users

gnutar and IRIX ACLs

2004-07-30 11:02:20
Subject: gnutar and IRIX ACLs
From: Jean-Francois Malouin <Jean-Francois.Malouin AT bic.mni.mcgill DOT ca>
To: AMANDA users <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2004 10:50:47 -0400
Hello,

I find myself forced to use ACLs for a finer-grained permissions setup
of a few filesystems (Irix CXFS) and I wonder if any of you had done a
similar thing. The irix tar claims to have the capability of backing
up ACLs but I can't use it because of other problems with this
version. Right now I'm using gtar (GNU tar) 1.13.25 along with
Amanda-2.4.4p1-20031120. I can't use xfsdump/xfsrestore due to the
fact that these filesystems are much bigger than my tapes (LTO1) and I
cannot split the filesystems like I do with gtar (xfsdump will only do
full backups for directories).

If that is still not possible to backup (and restore!) ACLs with
gnutar I was thinking of periodically updating a file containing all
the ACLs and I case of a restore just apply the relevent ACLs on top
of the restored file.

Am I fishing in troubled waters?
Has anyone done something similar?

TIA
jf
--
Better to be silent and thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.