Amanda-Users

Re: `RESULTS MISSING' error

2004-07-29 16:35:33
Subject: Re: `RESULTS MISSING' error
From: Geert Uytterhoeven <geert AT linux-m68k DOT org>
To: Amanda Users <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2004 22:30:01 +0200 (MEST)
On Tue, 13 Jul 2004, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:
> I'm trying to make Amanda backup my home network (several Linux machines) to
> disk. My first plan is to specify a non-existent tape drive (I don't have a
> tape drive anymore), and just copy the archives from the holding disk to a
> remote disk.
>
> However, I always (for both local and remote disks) get the following error
> (after the missing tape error, of course):
>
>     anakin     sda5 RESULTS MISSING
>
> I started from the amanda.conf I used to backup to DDS tape some years ago, so
> I'm quite sure it's not a problem with the config file. Basically I just added
> `reserve 20'. Am I missing something?
>
> If needed, I can tar-up /tmp/amanda/.
>
> Or should I use the `file' output driver? It seems to be less flexible to me.

So I tried the `file' output driver and `chg-disk', using 8 virtual tapes...

| tpchanger "chg-disk"
| changerfile "/etc/amanda/DailySet1/changer"
| tapedev "file:/scratch/amanda/DailySet1"
| tapetype HARD-DISK
| labelstr "DAILY[0-9][0-9]*$"    # label constraint regex: all tapes must match

Labeling the tapes (8 tapes) worked fine.
Amcheck runs fine:

| # su - backup amcheck DailySet1
| Amanda Tape Server Host Check
| -----------------------------
| amcheck-server: slot 8: date X        label DAILY08 (new tape)
| NOTE: skipping tape-writable test
| Tape DAILY08 label ok
| NOTE: info dir /var/lib/amanda/DailySet1/curinfo: does not exist
| NOTE: it will be created on the next run
| NOTE: index dir /var/lib/amanda/DailySet1/index/anakin: does not exist
| Server check took 0.217 seconds
|
| Amanda Backup Client Hosts Check
| --------------------------------
| Client check: 1 host checked in 0.178 seconds, 0 problems found
|
| (brought to you by Amanda 2.4.4p2)
| #

But amdump itself still fails:

| *** THE DUMPS DID NOT FINISH PROPERLY!
|
| The next tape Amanda expects to use is: a new tape.
| The next new tape already labelled is: DAILY01.
|
| FAILURE AND STRANGE DUMP SUMMARY:
|   driver: FATAL reading result from taper: Connection reset by peer
|   anakin     sda5 RESULTS MISSING
|

| STATISTICS:
|                           Total       Full      Daily
|                         --------   --------   --------
| Estimate Time (hrs:min)    0:00
| Run Time (hrs:min)         0:00
| Dump Time (hrs:min)        0:00       0:00       0:00
| Output Size (meg)           0.0        0.0        0.0
| Original Size (meg)         0.0        0.0        0.0
| Avg Compressed Size (%)     --         --         --
| Filesystems Dumped            0          0          0
| Avg Dump Rate (k/s)         --         --         --
|
| Tape Time (hrs:min)        0:00       0:00       0:00
| Tape Size (meg)             0.0        0.0        0.0
| Tape Used (%)               0.0        0.0        0.0
| Filesystems Taped             0          0          0
| Avg Tp Write Rate (k/s)     --         --         --
|
| ?
| NOTES:
|   planner: Adding new disk anakin:sda5.
|
| ?
| DUMP SUMMARY:
|                                      DUMPER STATS            TAPER STATS
| HOSTNAME     DISK        L ORIG-KB OUT-KB COMP% MMM:SS  KB/s MMM:SS  KB/s
| -------------------------- --------------------------------- ------------
| anakin       sda5          MISSING --------------------------------------
|
| (brought to you by Amanda version 2.4.4p2)

I can send the contents of /tmp/amanda/* if you need them, but I didn't see
anything fishy there.

Anyone with a clue? Thanks!

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

                                                Geert

--
Geert Uytterhoeven -- There's lots of Linux beyond ia32 -- geert AT linux-m68k
DOT org

                                                            -- Linus Torvalds