Amanda-Users

Re: install amanda on macosx-server

2004-07-28 08:48:04
Subject: Re: install amanda on macosx-server
From: Steven Karel <karelsf AT brandeis DOT edu>
To: josh <josh AT saratoga.lib.ny DOT us>
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2004 08:37:02 -0400
I put some notes up a while ago at http://web.brandeis.edu/pages/view/Bio/AmandaMacOSXCompileNotes

I'd recommend you use xtar as a tar substitute. http://www.helios.de/news/news03/N_06_03.html

You might as well use amanda 2.4.4 on the client, it should be compatible with 2.4.2 on the server.

On Jul 27, 2004, at 11:35 PM, josh wrote:

I have a new mac G5 Xserve and have been told that Amanda will work
just find as a back up. I am already running Amanda (2.4.2) with an old Linux
machine serving as a tape host.

I haven't found any instructions or accounts on installing Amanda on
OSX machines. ( I suspect this is simply because the terms "Mac OS X
server" wind up matching to much indvidually, but nothing as a string
- making it hard for me to find previous related posts.)

Can a kind soul point me in the right direction?

Will I be able to compile the 2.4.2 client on OS X or will I have to
upgrade to 2.4.4?

I am currently using gnu tar and zip with linux. Will I have trouble
with Mac versions of gnu tar and zip programs?

--
Josh Kuperman
josh AT saratoga.lib.ny DOT us