Amanda-Users

Re: Speed up 400GB backup?

2004-07-20 01:53:17
Subject: Re: Speed up 400GB backup?
From: Frank Smith <fsmith AT hoovers DOT com>
To: Kris Vassallo <kris AT linuxcertified DOT com>
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2004 00:41:13 -0500
--On Monday, July 19, 2004 17:19:56 -0700 Kris Vassallo <kris AT linuxcertified
DOT com> wrote:

Since most items on this mailing list involve several back-and-forth
questions and answers, it's usually best to reply with comments in-line
to make the history easier to follow for anyone on the list that may
care to jump in with additional remarks.

> 420GB is not the total amount per night. Something is bogging this down
> though and I don't know what. I am not using holding disks because the
> majority of data is being backed up from one set of disks to another on
> the same machine. This one machine has a set of RAID 10 disks. These
> disks are backed up by amanda and put onto a set of RAID 5 disks.

OK, I was assuming a different setup.  Having a holding disk would let
you run multiple dumps in parallel.  Wouldn't help much (if any) when
its all on one machine, but can really speed up your overall time if
you have multiple clients.

> As far
> as assigning spindle #s goes I don't quite understand why I would set
> that. I have inparallel set to 4  and then didn't define maxdumps, so I
> would assume that not more than 1 dumper would get started on a machine
> at once. Am I getting this right?

I think maxdumps defaults to 2 but I may be wrong (someone else should
jump in here).  I usually define everything so I know for sure how its
defined without digging into the source.
 You're right, spindle numbers are only really useful with maxdumps > 1.

> Here is my email log from the backup
> this morning.
>
> STATISTICS:
>                           Total       Full      Daily
>                         --------   --------   --------
> Estimate Time (hrs:min)    7:30

Here's your runtime problem, 7.5 hours for estimates .

> Run Time (hrs:min)        10:35
> Dump Time (hrs:min)        2:52       0:29       2:23

Three hours for dumps doesn't seem too bad.  It could probably
be improved some, but the estimates are what's killing you.

> Output Size (meg)       12163.2     9094.3     3068.9
> Original Size (meg)     29068.4    19177.4     9891.0
> Avg Compressed Size (%)    41.8       47.4       31.0   (level:#disks
> ...)
> Filesystems Dumped            3          1          2   (1:1 5:1)
> Avg Dump Rate (k/s)      1207.5     5366.4      366.3
>
> Tape Time (hrs:min)        0:17       0:13       0:05
> Tape Size (meg)         12163.3     9094.3     3069.0
> Tape Used (%)               1.8        1.3        0.4   (level:#disks
> ...)
> Filesystems Taped             3          1          2   (1:1 5:1)
> Avg Tp Write Rate (k/s) 11980.6    12287.9    11153.9
> \--------
>

> NOTES:
>   driver: WARNING: /tmp: not 102400 KB free.
>   planner: Incremental of venus.xxxx:/home bumped to level 5.
>   planner: Full dump of bda1.xxxx:/home specially promoted from 13 days
> ahead.
>   taper: tape DailySet111 kb 12455232 fm 3 [OK]
>

> DUMP SUMMARY:
>                                      DUMPER STATS            TAPER STATS
>
> HOSTNAME     DISK        L ORIG-KB OUT-KB COMP% MMM:SS  KB/s MMM:SS
> KB/s
> -------------------------- ---------------------------------
> ------------
> bda1.xxxx /home       0 196376909312576  47.4  28:555366.4  12:3812287.9
> bda2.xxxx /var/www    1    3210    480  15.0   0:01 364.4   0:0028399.0
> venus.xxxx /home       5 101251603142176  31.0 142:59 366.3
> 4:4211152.8

I'd suggest adding columnspec to your config and adjusting it so that
all the columns don't run together. It makes it much easier to read.
I'm guessing that bda1:/home wrote 9.3GB to 'tape', taking about 26 min
to dump and almost 13 min. to tape.
venus:home wrote 3GB, taking over 2 hours to dump and 5 min. to dump.
Which (if any) of these is the backup server itself?
The taper rates (about 12MB/sec if I'm parsing it right) seem ok, but
the 142 min dump time seems somewhat high for only 3GB of data.
Is that the 400GB filesystem you were talking about, and is it local
or remote?
  As for the estimates, are you using dump or tar?  Look in the
*debug files on the clients and see which one was taking all the time
(I'm guessing venus since it looks like you did a force on bda1).
Does that filesystem have millions of small files?
  I'm not sure of the best way to speed up estimates, other than a
faster disk system.  Perhaps someone else on the list has some ideas.

Frank