Amanda-Users

Re: Speed up 400GB backup?

2004-07-20 20:33:41
Subject: Re: Speed up 400GB backup?
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2004 20:30:16 -0400
On Tuesday 20 July 2004 19:51, Mike Fedyk wrote:
>Kris Vassallo wrote:
>> The disks in the venus box are all SATA 150 drives, SCSI is way
>> out of the price range for this amount of space. If venus is the
>> machine that is taking forever to do the estimates, is it possible
>> that 1. estimates start on all machines, 2. the estimates finish
>> on the smaller remote file systems first; these systems begin to
>> dump. 3. now along with the backup server trying to do an estimate
>> on its own disks, its also dealing with a dump coming in from
>> remote systems and all of this together is slowing it down? Do I
>> have any valid ideas here?
>
>On my Amanda 2.4.4p2 from Fedora Core 2, the dumps wait until all
>estimates finish before starting.
>
>Is there an option to change that?

Unforch no.  The way amanda works, amanda requires full knowledge of
what she is supposed to do in order to work out a scenario that will
fit the available storage space.  This only takes a couple of seconds
once all the estimates are in and then the dumpers are launched, one
per spindle number.

You would be better off to put in some spindle numbers so that amanda
can know for sure that she can access each disk exclusively,
otherwise she may launch 3 or more dumpers all attacking the same
disk(array) which will lead to some time loss due to head thrashing
as the heads seeek back and forth to satisfy more than one dumper.

I'd think each raid array should have its own spindle number.  I don't
run any raids here at home, but I do give every disk that amanda
touches its own spindle number even if its in another machine playing
client.  Each partition on that disk has the same spindle number in
the disklist, and it did cut my times down by at least a half an hour
overall in an approximately 4 hour run.

Also, as has been noted here, the lack of a holding disk can slow it
down quite a bit once the backups are actually being done because the
drive cannot service more than one data stream at a time.  Without
that holding disk buffer, any cpu based compression may slow it down
enough that the drive will do some "shoe shining" as it stops for
lack of data, rewinds a bit and then starts back up almost instantly
as its buffer fills.  Atapi/ide disks big enough to buffer what you
want to do aren't too much over a $100 bill these days, or often come
with a rebate form that reduces them to that price range.

There are 4 boxes to be used in defense of liberty.
Soap, ballot, jury, and ammo.
Please use in that order, starting now.  -Ed Howdershelt, Author
Additions to this message made by Gene Heskett are Copyright 2004,
Maurice E. Heskett, all rights reserved.