Amanda-Users

Speed up 400GB backup?

2004-07-19 17:14:35
Subject: Speed up 400GB backup?
From: Kris Vassallo <kris AT linuxcertified DOT com>
To: Amanda List <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2004 14:07:40 -0700
  I am looking for some assistance in tweaking the bumpsize, bumpdays, and bumpmult items in amanda.conf. I am backing up 420GB + worth of home directories to hard disks every night and the backup is taking about 11 hours. I just changed the backup of one 400GB home drive from client compress best to client compress fast, which did seem to shave a bit of time off the backup. The disks that are being backed up are on the same RAID controller as the backup disks.
I really need to make the backup take a lot less time because the network crawls when the developers come in to work in the morning because the home directory server is blasting away with the backup.  So, with a filesystem this large, what would be some good settings for the bump options. Also, are there any other things I can do to get this backup done any faster without turning off disk compression all together?