Amanda-Users

Re: Problem with setting "dumpcycle 0 day"

2004-07-14 10:53:26
Subject: Re: Problem with setting "dumpcycle 0 day"
From: Paul Bijnens <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
To: "Kenny Mok (Wing Fung)" <webinfo AT wfgold DOT com>, "'amanda-users AT amanda DOT org'" <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2004 16:51:11 +0200
Kenny Mok (Wing Fung) wrote:

> Paul Bijnens wrote:
>
>>Kenny Mok (Wing Fung) wrote:
>>

>>>Dear all,
>>>
>>>I have the following setting in my amanda.conf :
>>>
>>>dumpcycle 0 day # the number of days in the normal dump cycle
>>>tapecycle 12 tapes # the number of tapes in rotation
>>>runspercycle 1
>>>runtapes 1
>>>
>>>The situation is I have 12 tapes and I want to full backup my server
>>>each day, 6 times a week. Thus, the above setting is originally intended
>>>lasting for 2 weeks and after that, reusing the tape-set from tape 1
>>>again.
>>>
>>>In the first week, the first 6 tapes worked exactly in the way I want,
>>>i.e. full backup the server each day. However, when the second week
>>>begins, the 7th tape only backup those incremental changes (no full
>>>backup at all), as shown in the following report :
>>>
>>>STATISTICS:
>>>Total Full Daily
>>>-------- -------- --------
>>>Estimate Time (hrs:min) 0:02
>>>Run Time (hrs:min) 0:52
>>>Dump Time (hrs:min) 0:50 0:00 0:50
>>>Output Size (meg) 245.1 0.0 245.1
>>>Original Size (meg) 1335.0 0.0 1335.0
>>>Avg Compressed Size (%) 18.4 -- 18.4 (level:#disks ...)
>>>Filesystems Dumped 1 0 1 (1:1)
>>>Avg Dump Rate (k/s) 83.5 -- 83.5
>>>

>>Wasn't there a tape problem? Like error, or unlabeled tape, or...?
>>(It would be more convincing if you included the next few lines from
>>the report, or the first few, containing all imporant messages too.)
>>
>>In that case amanda falls back to degraded mode, and dumps to
>>holdingdisk. Having "reserve 100" (the default) means that 100%
>>of the holdingdisk is reserved for incremental backups in such cases.
>>

> Yup ~~!!! You are right ~~!!!
> During these errors, I tried to remove the tape from the drive and test
> the amflush command ....
>
> I thought that even there is no tape in the drive, amanda will work as
> usual by just changing the storing medium to the holding disk. However,
> I was wrong ....
>
> So .... how can I avoid amanda from falling back to degraded mode ?? how
> can amanda still run a full backup to the holding disk even there is no
> tape in the drive ??

When there is no tape, Amanda always falls back to degraded mode. You
can't avoid that.  But you can control the amount of "reserved space for
incremental only in case of degraded mode" by changing that parameter.
Setting like "reserve 20" lets amanda fill the holdingdisk with 80%
level zero dumps before doing only incremental.