Amanda-Users

Re: Problem with setting "dumpcycle 0 day"

2004-07-14 10:50:35
Subject: Re: Problem with setting "dumpcycle 0 day"
From: "Kenny Mok (Wing Fung)" <webinfo AT wfgold DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2004 22:46:58 +0800
Paul Bijnens wrote:

> Kenny Mok (Wing Fung) wrote:
>
>> Dear all,
>>
>> I have the following setting in my amanda.conf :
>>
>> dumpcycle 0 day # the number of days in the normal dump cycle
>> tapecycle 12 tapes # the number of tapes in rotation
>> runspercycle 1
>> runtapes 1
>>
>> The situation is I have 12 tapes and I want to full backup my server
>> each day, 6 times a week. Thus, the above setting is originally intended
>> lasting for 2 weeks and after that, reusing the tape-set from tape 1
>> again.
>>
>> In the first week, the first 6 tapes worked exactly in the way I want,
>> i.e. full backup the server each day. However, when the second week
>> begins, the 7th tape only backup those incremental changes (no full
>> backup at all), as shown in the following report :
>>
>> STATISTICS:
>> Total Full Daily
>> -------- -------- --------
>> Estimate Time (hrs:min) 0:02
>> Run Time (hrs:min) 0:52
>> Dump Time (hrs:min) 0:50 0:00 0:50
>> Output Size (meg) 245.1 0.0 245.1
>> Original Size (meg) 1335.0 0.0 1335.0
>> Avg Compressed Size (%) 18.4 -- 18.4 (level:#disks ...)
>> Filesystems Dumped 1 0 1 (1:1)
>> Avg Dump Rate (k/s) 83.5 -- 83.5
>>

> Wasn't there a tape problem? Like error, or unlabeled tape, or...?
> (It would be more convincing if you included the next few lines from
> the report, or the first few, containing all imporant messages too.)
>
> In that case amanda falls back to degraded mode, and dumps to
> holdingdisk. Having "reserve 100" (the default) means that 100%
> of the holdingdisk is reserved for incremental backups in such cases.

Yup ~~!!! You are right ~~!!!
During these errors, I tried to remove the tape from the drive and test
the amflush command ....

I thought that even there is no tape in the drive, amanda will work as
usual by just changing the storing medium to the holding disk. However,
I was wrong ....

So .... how can I avoid amanda from falling back to degraded mode ?? how
can amanda still run a full backup to the holding disk even there is no
tape in the drive ??

Thanks in advance ~~!!!!
^_^