Amanda-Users

Re: amdump/amrecover problem

2004-07-08 13:58:00
Subject: Re: amdump/amrecover problem
From: eric AT cirr DOT com (Eric Schnoebelen)
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Thu, 08 Jul 2004 12:52:42 -0500
cngo AT nmsu DOT edu writes:
- I've got the following error when I run amrecover:
-
- ---------
- amrecover> add dumpdates
- Added /etc/dumpdates
- amrecover> extract
-
- Extracting files using tape drive 0 on host typha.nmsu.edu.
- The following tapes are needed: Biology-1
-
- Restoring files into directory /home/cngo
- Continue [?/Y/n]? y
-
- Extracting files using tape drive 0 on host typha.nmsu.edu.
- Load tape Biology-1 now
- Continue [?/Y/n/s/t]? y
- EOF, check amidxtaped.<timestamp>.debug file on typha.nmsu.edu.
- amrecover: short block 0 bytes
- UNKNOWN file
- amrecover: Can't read file header
- extract_list - child returned non-zero status: 1
- Continue [?/Y/n/r]? y
- amrecover>
- ------------

        What are the contents of amidxtaped.<timestamp>.debug?
That'd probably be most enlightening.

        As a guess, I'd say that the tape `Biology-1' wasn't
loaded when amidxtaped went to try and read from it.  Did you
see (hear?) the robot load the tape at the after you answered
yes, and before the above error message occurred.

- That error disappears if I comment out the 'tapedev "0" 'in my amanda.conf
- file

        The error disappears, but are you able to restore the
file?

--
Eric Schnoebelen                eric AT cirr DOT com
http://www.cirr.com