Amanda-Users

Re: Erroneous "Last full dump overwritten" message

2004-07-08 12:16:20
Subject: Re: Erroneous "Last full dump overwritten" message
From: Paul Bijnens <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Thu, 08 Jul 2004 18:09:25 +0200
Alexander Jolk wrote:

KEVIN ZEMBOWER wrote:

Also, is there something missing after the word 'tape' in the
message, "planner: Last full dump of www:sda11 on tape  overwritten
in 1 run."? On my other operating amanda system, this is usually
filled in by the tape name.

I've seen the same thing here, and I believe it is caused by a dump that's been forgotten on holding disk and won't be flushed. Can
happen when you do several amdumps on the same day, it seems.

Sound plausible to someone?

That's correct.

It's a little bug in the code.
Creating a little patch is on my todo list (when I find the time).

The bug is in this little subroutine in planner.c.  Something that
"shouldn"t happen" does happen:  when the last full dump is
on holdingdisk, then the routine gets called with an empty label,
and it returns 1 to "trigger warning message".

 925 static int when_overwrite(label)
 926 char *label;
 927 {
 928     tape_t *tp;
 929
 930     if((tp = lookup_tapelabel(label)) == NULL)
931 return 1; /* "shouldn't happen", but trigger warning message */
 932     else if(!reusable_tape(tp))
 933         return 1024;
 934     else if(lookup_nb_tape() > conf_tapecycle)
 935         return (lookup_nb_tape() - tp->position) / conf_runtapes;
 936     else
 937         return (conf_tapecycle - tp->position) / conf_runtapes;
 938 }
 939

You see where the empty tape name comes from and the overwritten in "1"
run too.

I didn't yet decide how to resolve it.  Is an empty label really
an indication of a dump on holdingdisk in all cases?  In that case
just return 1024 or so.
Or should we change infofile to use some string like "**HOLDINGDISK**"
as a fake tapelabel?