Amanda-Users

amdump/amrecover problem

2004-07-08 10:45:01
Subject: amdump/amrecover problem
From: cngo AT nmsu DOT edu
To: Eric Schnoebelen <eric AT cirr DOT com>
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 2004 08:40:41 -0600
Hi,

I've got the following error when I run amrecover:

---------
amrecover> add dumpdates
Added /etc/dumpdates
amrecover> extract

Extracting files using tape drive 0 on host typha.nmsu.edu.
The following tapes are needed: Biology-1

Restoring files into directory /home/cngo
Continue [?/Y/n]? y

Extracting files using tape drive 0 on host typha.nmsu.edu.
Load tape Biology-1 now
Continue [?/Y/n/s/t]? y
EOF, check amidxtaped.<timestamp>.debug file on typha.nmsu.edu.
amrecover: short block 0 bytes
UNKNOWN file
amrecover: Can't read file header
extract_list - child returned non-zero status: 1
Continue [?/Y/n/r]? y
amrecover>
------------

That error disappears if I comment out the 'tapedev "0" 'in my amanda.conf file

-----amanda.conf--
tpchanger "chg-scsi"    # the tape-changer glue script
tapedev "0"
changerfile "/usr/pkg/etc/amanda/backup/chg-scsi.conf"
-------

However if I do that, amcheck generates the following error:

-----------
% amcheck backup
Amanda Tape Server Host Check
-----------------------------
Holding disk /data/amanda: 24318770 KB disk space available, that's plenty
amcheck-server: could not get changer info: check your config and use a config
file for chg-scsi

Amanda Backup Client Hosts Check
--------------------------------
Client check: 1 host checked in 0.060 seconds, 0 problems found

(brought to you by Amanda 2.4.4p2)

if I change 'tapedev "0" ' to 'tapedev "enrst0"' for example, amrecover works
well but amcheck still gives that error message. As I understand from amanda
documents, the value of tapedev is the configuration to use, so it should be a
number between 0 and 9.

I don't think it's good idea to set 'tapedev "0"' when running amdump and
comment it out when running amrecover. I would appreciate it very much if
anyone could advise me how to resolve that problem.

Thank you very much,

Co