Amanda-Users

Re: Q: HP C7971A tapetype (Ultrium LTO 1)

2004-07-08 09:31:43
Subject: Re: Q: HP C7971A tapetype (Ultrium LTO 1)
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 2004 09:27:20 -0400
On Thu, Jul 08, 2004 at 08:50:17AM -0400, Joshua Baker-LePain wrote:
> On Thu, 8 Jul 2004 at 8:35am, Gene Heskett wrote
>
> > On Thursday 08 July 2004 01:32, Alexey I. Froloff wrote:
> > >* Alexey I. Froloff <raorn@> [040707 14:10]:
> > >
> > >Thanks to all for your help.  amtapetype finished successfully.
> > >
> > >$ /usr/sbin/amtapetype -e 100g -f /dev/nst0 -t "HP-C7971A"
> > >Writing 1024 Mbyte   compresseable data:  25 sec
> > >Writing 1024 Mbyte uncompresseable data:  72 sec
> > >WARNING: Tape drive has hardware compression enabled
> >
> > Please disable this as it hides the true tapesize from amtapetype AND
> > amanda.  amanda can do a much better job of filling up a tape if
> > amanda knows how much a tape can hold.
>
> Actually Gene, for this drive disabling hardware compression isn't
> necessary.  It's an LTO/Ultrium drive, and those are actually smart enough
> to not compress already compressed data.  Notice (below) how he still gets
> the full 100GB native capacity?  With those drives, you get the best of
> both worlds -- you can mix software and hardware compression.  Very, very
> slick.

Gene's second point is still valid though.
What is the actual "real world data" capacity of the tape?
Amanda will think 100GB and yet the HW compressor will be
shrinking that 0-80% depending on the data compressability.
So running tapetype if you plan to use HW compression is
basically a time-waster as you will be guess-timating the
actual data capacity anyway.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)